Are you wondering if you should Paint or Stain your Wooden Fence? Finding it difficult to decide which of them would be better?
Well, this thought is not something that’s crossing only through your mind. Most homeowners have this doubt. A wood fence is undoubtedly an excellent option for security, but it is also a major investment. Once you have invested in a fence, regular maintenance can maintain its durability and beautiful glimpses for years. Coating it with paint or stain is a great idea to avoid the Insects and rotting of the fences.
But which option should one choose? A Paint or A Stain? Well, both of them have their pros and cons, so you need to decide which one works the best for you. Here we will help you get a clear overview regarding both of them.
Pros and Cons of Painting a Wood Fence
Pros of Painting a Wood Fence:
- Paint is less expensive as it lasts longer as compared to Stains
- You get a wide variety of color choices in paints
- You don’t need to re-paint the fence at least for the next 5-6 years
- Paint can be applied on almost every weather condition, till it’s Not Raining
- Primer with paint ensures the wood is sealed
Cons of Painting a Wood Fence:
- After a specific time, paint starts to chip, peel, and appear careworn
- Paint is tough to apply and drips while applying
- It requires Primer
- While repainting, it requires effort to prep the surface, such as scraping off the paint.
- Some woods, such as Cedar, do not take Paints too well.
Pros and Cons of Staining a Wood Fence
Pros Staining a Wood Fence:
- Stains don’t peel or crack like paint; it just fades.
- No Primer is required.
- Stain lasts comparatively longer.
- Stains can easily be applied with a handheld garden pump sprayer.
- Stains get soaked by the wood even though it depends on the Finish of the wood.
- It provides an option of applying a colorless layer which allows transparency.
Cons Staining a Wood Fence:
- Good quality stains can be costly.
- Since it fades early, it needs to be reapplied frequently every 3-4 years. And reapplying lighter shades over dark can be messy.
- Color choices are limited as compared to paint.
- You have to wait until it’s at least 10°C out, with no rain forecast for at least two to three days.
- Staining fences is time-consuming.
So basically, painting and staining the wooden fences have pros and cons. If you have a reasonable budget and want to enhance the texture of your wooden fences, stain is the best option for you. On the other hand, if you’re going to go with the trend and color options, paint is the way to go. Either way, the call is yours to make. Also, remember that you can paint your wooden fence after a few years of applying stain.
We hope this article will help you decide whether to choose Paint or Stain to add an extra protective layer to your fence.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I paint a wood fence with a stain on it?
Yes, even if you already have a wooden fence with stain, you can paint it when the time comes to add more stain. You do not need to strip stains to paint over it; just clean the surface, and you are ready to begin painting. It can prove to be a great way to give your property a new glance.
2. When can I stain my new wood fence?
If you have a well-finished fence, you must do some prep work. To prep the surface, give it a quick wipe down with fine-grit sandpaper. Then, wipe the surface with a damp cloth to remove any dust.
Ensure you have good weather and it doesn’t rain for the next 3 days to allow the stain to dry appropriately.
3. Should I approach a fence company for paint or stain?
It is always recommended to ask for Professional Help from a Fence Company if you want to do any work regarding fencing. Let it be the installation, removal, or painting of fences.
4. What is the cost of painting a wood fence?
Painting Wood fences can be cheaper. But since it requires Primers, the expenditure increases. Good Quality Paints are also expensive, but they last for a longer time.
5. How to approach a professional fence contractor?”
You do a little bit of research to find out some of the best professional fence contractors in your area. But some of the best Fence Contractor would provide services that can be costly. So keep your budget decided. However, it’s not recommended to compromise on the quality of paints just to save a few bucks.
You can also reach out to B.C.Fence for any kind of professional help regarding fencing; let it be installation, removal, or painting of fences. We can guide you through every step and give you the best service that takes on a pocket-friendly budget.